«Atlassian Confluence Advanced Permission and Security Management» course released! Try it now!
For usage scenarios, please, see this post in our blog.
When you creating Talk discussions, you can also restrict viewing them to certain users and/or user groups. There're three ways to do that:
Brief video tutorial:
Setting Talk Permissions in the View mode
To restrict viewing a specific discussion to a list of users and/or user groups do the following:
- Start a discussion as described in Getting Started. In case you want to change permissions for an existing discussion, skip this step.
- Click the lock icon in the discussion cloud. You will see a list of users who can view this discussion (empty for a new discussion if space permissions are not set, see below for details).
- Type names of a users and/or user groups to enable viewing this discussion for them.
- To delete a user/user group from a list, click next to their name.
- Click Apply to save changes.
Setting Talk Permissions in the Edit mode
- Start a discussion as described in Starting Discussions in 'Edit' Mode. In case you want to change permissions for an existing discussion, skip this step.
- In the macro window, click Restrict.
- Go through steps 3-5 described above.
Access to talks is defined by complex factors and is based mainly on the following principles:
- A user needs to have either the permission to edit a page or to add comments in order to be able to add a Talk comment while viewing a page
- If the talk has restrictions, so only the users and/or user groups on the restrictions list can access the talk.
- All users, who are allowed to view and edit the talk, can change its viewing restrictions.
- The space administrator cannot access the talk, if he/she is not on the restrictions list.
Setting Space Permissions for Discussions
Space permissions are a kind of default permissions applied to all talks created within the space.
- Open the space, which you want to set permissions for.
- On the left-side navigation bar, click the Space tools button.
Select Permissions, then select the Talk Permissions tab.
You can also modify talk permissions for a specific space, form the Administration Console. Navigate to the Users & Security sections and select here Space Permissions. On the Individual Spaces list, locate the appropriate space and click the Manage Permissions link. Then follow the instructions below.
- Here, you can enter users and user groups that can view talks created within the current space.
- Click Apply when finished.
- If you want to remove some user or user group from the restrictions list, click the Remove restriction link. Such a user or user group will no longer be able to view talks within the current space.
If you want to revert modifications, click the Revert button.
Every time you create a talk in the space with the configured talk permissions for the entire space, you can modify these default permissions while adding or editing the talk.