For usage scenarios, please, see this post in our blog.
When you creating Talk discussions, you can also restrict viewing them to certain users and/or user groups. There're three ways to do that:
Brief video tutorial
Setting Talk Permissions in the View mode
To restrict viewing a specific discussion/suggestion to a list of users and/or user groups do the following:
- Start a discussion/suggestion as described in Getting Started. In case you want to change permissions for an existing discussion, skip this step.
- Click the lock icon in the Talk cloud. You will see a list of users who can view this discussion (empty for a new discussion if space permissions are not set, see below for details).
- Type names of a users and/or user groups to enable viewing this discussion/suggestion for them.
- To delete a user/user group from a list, click next to their name.
- Click Apply to save changes.
Setting Talk Permissions in the Edit mode
- Start a discussion/suggestion as described in Starting Discussions and Suggestions in 'Edit' Mode. In case you want to change permissions for an existing discussion, skip this step.
- In the macro window, click Restrict.
- Go through steps 3-5 described above.
Access to talks is defined by complex factors and is based mainly on the following principles:
- A user needs to have either the permission to edit a page or to add comments in order to be able to add a Talk comment/discussion while viewing a page
- If the talk has restrictions, so only the users and/or user groups on the restrictions list can access the talk.
- All users, who are allowed to view and edit the talk, can change its viewing restrictions.
- The space administrator cannot access the talk, if he/she is not on the restrictions list.
Setting Space Permissions for Discussions
Space permissions are a kind of default permissions applied to all Talk inline comments and discussions created within the space.
- Open the space, which you want to set permissions for.
- On the left-side navigation bar, click the Space tools button.
Select Permissions, then select the Talk Permissions tab.
You can also modify talk permissions for a specific space, form the Administration Console. Navigate to the Users & Security sections and select here Space Permissions. On the Individual Spaces list, locate the appropriate space and click the Manage Permissions link. Then follow the instructions below.
- Here, you can enter users and user groups that can view talks created within the current space.
- Click Apply when finished.
- If you want to remove some user or user group from the restrictions list, click the Remove restriction link. Such a user or user group will no longer be able to view talks within the current space.
If you want to revert modifications, click the Revert button.
Every time you create a Talk inline comment/discussion in the space with the configured talk permissions for the entire space, you can modify these default permissions while adding or editing the talk.